Single? Taken? Does it even matter? Here are 10 easy ways you can enjoy the day, whatever your relationship status ...
(1) Remember that you don't have to make a conscious decision to mark the day in any specific commercial way. February 14th is a "day of love"; it's more than okay to spend the day appreciating what you have in your life without feeling the need to splash out on a cuddly teddy bear or feel the pressure to buy a piece of racy underwear in a style which you wouldn't normally wear. Instead, fill your day with grace, poise and elegance.
(2) Breakfast in bed is a great way to start a special day. If you have a special someone who you can treat then go ahead and treat them. And if you're single, it doesn't mean you should miss out; go large on your favourite breakfast and enjoy the fact that you have only your own culinary tastes to consider.
(3) It's a day of love so give someone a hug; better yet give them a flamingo hug. You know, the kind of hug when your foot pops as you lean in to give the other person an affectionate squeeze. Platonic or romantic doesn't matter - as long as you're showing someone that you're in the happy hug zone.
(4) It's a day for wearing a dash of red, pink or something a little floral. Treat yourself to something new as a reward for being happily you - some new red or blush shoes which will see you through the year, or some shiny new shoellery to add some evening sparkle.
(5) Treat yourself (and your partner if you have one) to a beautiful cup of flower tea made from a whole bud. Marvel as the flower opens up in front of your very eyes and then enjoy it's fresh taste as a special marker of the day.
(6) Send a card to a friend telling them how much they mean to you. It's a day for appreciation so don't let romance alone hijack the day.
(7) In a romantic relationship? Read a devastatingly romantic book or play together; maybe Romeo and Juliet or Love Letters of Great Women / Men. Single? Treat yourself to an uplifting read which is both romantic and powerfully independent; maybe Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice or Anne of Green Gables.
(8) Feel empowered. Whether you're single or enjoying coupledom it's worth remembering that life is good when you are focussed on making it happy. Be happy in yourself whatever your relationship status is.
(9) Cheer up your workmates by buying everyone a heart shaped cookie to liven up break time. Cookies shared with friends and colleagues means the day won't end as crumble.
(10) When you dash from the boardroom to the bar for your evening drinks, make sure it's in your #18hourheels. Poise, grace and elegance are the key to a successful every day, as well as an enjoyable Valentines's Day.