Shoes by Shaherazad is a truly ethical global brand. Here's how:
- Our shoes are ethically produced in Spain where everyone involved in the process is paid a fair wage.
- Our leather is ethically sourced from Spain so that we keep logistics costs and emissions to a minimum.
- The shoes and shoellery are regularly exported to 21 countries across all continents - we love to be inclusive!
- The shoellery is handcrafted in luxurious metals in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.
- All of our profits (that's right, every single penny) goes to help women and girls living in poverty around the globe. The funds are used to support females with gaining an education or vocational skills so that they can lift themselves out of poverty.
Here are some of the projects we've supported around the world:
- A new partnership has just been set up to help girls in Sindh, Pakistan to go to school and learn essential literacy skills. Check out this photo of girls at The ARTS Foundation which they sent as a "thank you" to everyone who has treated themselves to our heels.
- We've been working with the NIGEE school in Kenya for four years now. The first donation we ever made enabled the school to buy six sewing machines to teach girls tailoring skills so that they were prepared to set up in business.
- Thousands of girls in Peru live and work as domestic servants from the age of 6 to earn enough just to eat. Profits from our shoes help to fund Sunday school education for girls who are in full time employment so that they can eventually break the cycle of under-age employment abuse. Here are the girls after one of their Sunday School sessions.
The project partners we work with are vetted by GlobalGiving UK so we know that the funds are doing good deeds on the ground.
There are many more projects we have been supporting in the UK, Jordan, Yemen, Syria, Bangladesh and Palestine. Keep following for more blog updates to keep up to date or check out our Good Deeds page.
Shoe Empowerment Officer