How to Pronounce Those Oh-So-Pretty Designer Names.
You love the fashion, you love the names, but you're never quite sure whether to talk about your latest catwalk addiction because of the unfamiliarity of how to correctly pronounce the designer's name.
Well, fear not, we say! We're here to help with those tricky (but oh-so-pretty) names.
Our Shoe.E.O., Shaherazad Umbreen (you'll hear how to pronounce that later) was rarely called by her full name when growing up (and even in to the beginnings of her career) as people were often afraid to try pronouncing it. "It's phonetic. Like Eliz-a-beth", she would say to her teachers, but many still insisted on calling her "Umbreen" or "Shaz". So, #insolidarity we decided to do something about it and put together this easy to use guide so we can all chat more confidently about our favourite designers.
Here we go:
- ANNA SUI: anna swee
- BALENCIAGA: bah-len-see-AH-gah
- BALMAIN: BAHL-mahn
- BIBA: BEE-buh
- BOTTEGA VENETA: boh-TEH-gah VEHN-eh-tah
- BVLGARI: BOOL-gah-ree
- CHANEL: shaar-NELL
- CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN: christian loo-boo-TAHN
- DIOR: dh-EE-orh
- DOLCE: dh-ORL-chay
- GIVENCHY: zjee-vohn-SHEE
- HERMES: air-MEHZ
- HERVE LEGER: air-VAY leh-ZJAY
- ISSEY MIYAKE: ees-sey mee-yah-kay
- JEAN PAUL GAULTIER: zjawn paul GOH-tee-ay
- LANVIN: lahhn-VAHN
- LOEWE: LOH-weh-vayy
- LOUIS VUITTON: loo-EE VWEE-tahn
- MARCHESA: mar-KAY-zaah
- MARY KATRANTZOU: mairee KAT-ran-te-zoo
- MOSCHINO: mohs-KEE-noh
- OLIVIER THEYSKENS: oh-LIV-ee-ay TEHS-kenz
- PRABAL GURUNG: PRUH-bul GOOH-roong
- PROENZA SCHOULER: pro-EHN-za SKOOL-er
- SAINT LAURENT: san loh-rahn
- SCHIAPARELLI: sky-ah-puh-rehl-ee
- SHOES BY SHAHERAZAD: shooz bai shaaa-HER-a-zad